Our Father

While Father’s Day, Mother’s Day and Valentine’s Day may be all nice and cutesy, they seem to exclude, rather than include those who might come up short of the equation.

I’m sure someone who has recently lost a father, cannot help but imagine life with one more Father’s Day together. Or a single someone longing for a Valentine to make his or her life complete on that red overdosed day.

Perhaps the intention of ‘Days’ like these were genuine, but they have now morphed into clever marketing gimmicks. Now every time a ‘Teachers Day’ or ‘Pet Day’ arrives, everyone’s frantically rushing off to send the biggest and most outlandish greeting cards to the respective party. Its almost as if, every day is a ‘Lets Celebrate Day.’ I guess that is not so bad an idea. A reason to celebrate each and every day. But clearly ‘Cuddle Day’ is taking it a bit too far.

I’m sure everyone has special stories of their Dads. The lovely moments and perhaps the not-so-lovely ones too. Somehow my fondest memories of my Dad will always include his love for party games. Though he has been an avid sports player in his time and can teach anyone willing to learn a thing or two about hockey and cricket, his recent forte is party games.

I guess my Dad’s love for party games grew from the need to entertain his large family. There was always some birthday or the other, one month or the next. Some event to look forward to. Games to plan. Presents to buy. Posters to make. If ever there was a poster boy for posters, it has got to be my Dad. The more the merrier. No party is ever complete without a round of colourful posters to intrigue guests of the fascinating games in store for them.

Of course these games haven’t been all fun for the rest of us, who form the planning committee. Many a family picnic was spent slogging away preparing the line up of games for ‘other people’ to play and ensuring that Dad was happy with the way his games were conducted. Everything had to go as plan. Most times we siblings and mother included would growl and grumble but always give in to the game planning.

Even my wedding had some game or the other intertwined with the celebrations. Dad had this bizarre but hilarious ranking system and allotted all of us siblings with points. My husband ‘to be’ was amused when he called once and was told that we were conducting a ‘family meeting’ to discuss our assigned wedding duties.

I miss some of those fun times though I guess all of us have inherited some of our Dad’s game organising genes. No party seems complete without a game or two. I’m glad I have those memories of a packed house with guests eating and laughing and arguing over prizes.

Of course my Dad has given me many more wonderful memories as I’m sure yours has too. Somehow Father's Day seems a fitting tribute to a Dad who is still a child at heart. I hope he always will be.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Seafood with a lot of soul

Meet the quirky director of Fanney Khan

Breaking News