The battle of the bulge By Abigail Mathias



I took my first Zumba class just two months after my second baby was born. It was time to face the outside world and shed the excess weight. I first heard about Zumba from my sister who attended classes in Canada. The idea was intriguing – burning 600 calories in one hour at a workout that’s aimed at being fun. I couldn’t wait to start.

According to the official website; Zumba fuses hypnotic Latin rhythms and easy-to-follow moves to create a one-of-a-kind fitness program. It was first conceived by celebrity fitness trainer Beto Perez in the late 1990s and soon gained popularity worldwide.

It is probably no coincidence that my Zumba instructor, Amani Abassy has a permanent glow on her face. She’s a self-confessed Zumba addict who is constantly motivating her students and urging newcomers to give the class a try.

“I started my first class in 2008 when Zumba was relatively unheard of in the Middle East,” says Amani. The growing popularity of her classes in Kuwait is obvious from the fact that she is looking for a bigger venue to conduct sessions. An individual class costs KD5, though booking 10 or 20 sessions reduces the cost of individual classes.

Amani tries to keep students entertained by creating different events. She once had an 80’s theme class where any one wearing the funkiest attire won a free class. On another occasion she encouraged more people to join by telling students to bring a friend and get one class free.

“I learned Zumba in the U.S. state of Virginia, five years ago,” explains Amani. My instructor was from the original batch of Zumba students. I stumbled upon it by accident. I was one of those people who just couldn’t go to a gym. It was just not exciting enough. My friend took me to a Zumba class and I fell in love with it instantly.”

Today Amani teaches Zumba five times a week. “After taking different types of exercise classes for so long I can safely say, this is a fun way of exercising. I decided to teach because I am obsessed with it,” she laughs.

Of course she takes her job very seriously. “I got certified in 2008 and am continously re-certified as well,” says Amani. She specializes in Zumba Toning which includes the use of light weights during a workout.

Amani offers Zumba for women of different age groups from 14 years and up. “We have women from different nationalities that enjoy the classes.”

But what if you’ve got two left feet? “With Zumba it doesn’t matter if you can’t dance,” says Amani. “There’s no formal training in dance required. You can start at your own level and go at your own pace.”

The classes are designed in a fairly easy routine. “Each song has three to four steps to follow. It’s just like learning a new language, it will take a while but you get the hang of it pretty quickly. I too never had any aerobics background but I picked it up. All you have to do is listen to the beats and feel the rhythm,” says the instructor.

It is great to see women of all ages grooving to the music. Amani says, “Students often come to me after a class and mention how refreshed they feel. I also get emails from students mentioning how much self confidence they have achieved from a class. One of the students told me her whole life has been transformed and I feel so happy to be a part of that positive experience.”

Lorie Killingsworth has lived in Kuwait since 1987 and is the owner and managing director of Eden Salon and Spa. She says, “I started coming to the Zumba class in July this year and it has helped me in many ways. I attend the class with two of my daughters which has been very nice for all of us and gives us a chance to do something positive together. I have lost weight, relieved stress and by attending the class it has also given me abundant energy.”

“Zumba is fun so you don’t feel like you are working out. It allows you to leave your troubles outside the door and just concentrate on yourself for one hour,” adds Amani.

From salsa, to merengue, flaminco and belly dancing, the music forms a major part of a Zumba session. Amani tries to include some of the latest music in her classes. “We have to play 70 percent of international rhythms and 30 percent of other music so I try to mix it up and play what everyone likes.”

Sarah Al Awadhi is one of Amani’s original students and has followed the program for two years running. She says, “A Zumba class is always something to look forward to. I’ve recommended it other friends. I dropped a jean size when I first started and that was gratifying but Zumba is much more than just weight loss. I have a lot more energy now.”

Regarding her diet Sarah says, “Of course I watch what I eat but it’s not like I don’t eat what I like.” Sarah also tries Yoga and Pilates once a week. “Women sometimes find it hard to fit exercise in their schedule but I find it totally worth it.”

Arwa Behbehani, is a busy owner of a café and a salon. She says, “When I joined Zumba three to four months ago, I thought it was too hectic. But the fun factor helps you tolerate the pain that comes with the exercise. Eventually the battle between you and your body fades. Now I’m totally addicted and I rarely miss a class. In fact if I miss a session I get totally depressed.”

She adds, “It actually helps prioritize my day as I look forward to the classes. I eat what I want to eat, knowing I will burn those calories later.” Arwa has lost a lot of weight with Zumba. What’s more her endurance and stamina have also significantly increased. “There’s been a huge transformation for me physically. I’m much smaller now,” she says confidently.

Lorie adds, “The great thing about Zumba is that the class is only 60 minutes long and it doesn’t seem so hard to do five times a week. Amani is a fantastic instructor and positive motivator which also helps. I recommend Zumba to anyone regardless of age. Life is good with Zumba.”

Last month one of the students brought cup cakes for the whole group who were celebrating the fact that they completed a 120 minute session. Not exactly the perfect way to shed calories perhaps, but with Zumba there’s always a reason to celebrate.


Article featured on Bazaar Magazine Kuwait, Dec 2010.

http://www.bazaar-magazine.com/baz/bazaar/index.php?show=eIndex&show_filter=view&action=article&art_id=ART00000000843

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Seafood with a lot of soul

Meet the quirky director of Fanney Khan

Breaking News