Marley and Me...worth a watch

When I first saw the promos for the film, Marley and me, I was quick to categorise it as another dog-lover movie. You know the Lassie kind. I was glad to find that this movie brought a smile to my face and a tear to my eye though I've never owned a dog.

Most of us who have lived in Bombay for some part of our lives have seen them all over the city. Unwanted, wanderers, barking at the slightest provocation. Pelted by strangers with cheap thrills. Fed by those who can't bear to see them starving. Stray dogs have become quite the subject of debate in a city too overcrowded for humans, leave alone dogs, cats or crows.

Of course the Hollywood movie does not touch on the topic of strays. Its about a hyperactive Labrador named Marley and the couple who adopt him. I don't want to spoil the movie for those of you who will want to watch the film. What I liked most about the film was that it was about not just the owner's relationship with the dog. It is about everyone who interacts with Marley and allows him to be a part of their lives.

Do I regret not owning a dog? Not sure. My parents always said there were enough humans in our house and no place for pets. They also said that my older siblings were too depressed after a pair of love birds died and so they didn't want to risk the heart break again. Probably all good arguments. Somehow we still managed to get a number of fish and even a lamb as pets for however short a duration.

I wish I could get my son a dog. Though I know it is a lot of work and its cruel to keep a dog locked in an apartment, I'm sure he would absolutely love having a Marley of his own. Oh well, I'm glad he is much less afraid of dogs and cats than I will ever dream of being. For now I will stick to adoring the pets from a safe distance.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Seafood with a lot of soul

Meet the quirky director of Fanney Khan

Breaking News